Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Midtown South

I need your help with this one....This is NOT one of my favorites shots. I don't know what it is exactly about this image, but it just doesn't speak to me. I'd love feedback from you on how you think this photography could be improved. This is a shot from the Flatiron district, also known as "Midtown South." Very cool area of Manhattan...Lots of great structures and photo ops. This was not an easy shot to get, and perhaps that is why I feel it should be better. The reason being...I was standing right in front of a subway stairwell, and a homeless man was sitting on the top step directly behind me. He was very upset with me, as I was apparently in his "space", and this invasion of boundaries led him to scream at me the entire time I was setting up and taking this picture. This experience was truly an exercise of my peripheral vision. Talk about having to "watch your back." I had one eye on my camera and the other on this guy. Ohhh, the occupational hazards of a photographer. Hehe. 

2 comments:

  1. It is an intriguing photo. The sense of movement and vitality draws you in. The distortion on the clock creates a sense of unease, but not necessarily in bad light. Speaking of light, if the clock could have been captured in a stronger light,it may have brought more focus to this active image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michael. Perhaps you could warm up the light on the clock in PhotoShop or Viveza. Also, having the base of the clock stand cut off bothers me a bit. But generally, it's an interesting shot. Great story about shooting it.

    ReplyDelete