Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Casper? ...Is that you??

Does anyone like graveyards? I wouldn't say I "like" them, but I do find them intriguing, especially the very old ones. I love walking around and looking at all of the gravestones, reading the names and family information, and searching for the oldest grave in the cemetery. I'm always amazed when I find a grave site of a person who lived/died in the 18th century. Wow!! Who were they? What was their life like? While graveyards fascinate me during daylight hours, I don't think I could peruse them in the dark. Yes. Yes. Call me juvenile...but there really is an eeriness that seems to envelope cemeteries once night falls. In the above photography, I tried to capture the onset of that eeriness as the sun was setting. To me, this image evokes a peaceful calm while at the same time conveys a foreboding sense of doom. Thoughts?

FLICKR PICKS
 Hey there! I am starting a new post piece that I'm calling "Flickr Pick." I can't imagine anyone not knowing what Flickr is, but for those of you who may not, Flickr is a website where you can post photographs. Flickr has become huge. It's for professional photographers, amateur photographers, and non-photographers who just want to post pictures to share with family and friends. Anyways, I'm often amazed at the high quality of photographs I come across on this website. There are a lot of really great images on Flickr...and a lot of really bad images. : (  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, what I'd like to do is post images that I find on Flickr which I feel are jaw dropping, amazing, and inspiring pieces of photographic art. Unfortunately, due to copyright laws and licensing issues, I can't post the photograph directly to my blog. So, the best that i can do is post the link and then it's up to you guys to click the link to see the photo. I promise that it will be worth your clicking time. So...here we go. 

My first Flickr pick is what I would call the quintessential piece of photographic art. In fact, this image is so amazing it is what gave me the idea to do Flickr Picks. To be honest, I'm not easily impressed when it comes to photography. I've been engrossed in photography long enough to distinguish between quality work and...everything else. This image is quality work! Before I post the link to this image, I'd like to say a few things about it.  I do believe we will all agree that this is an amazing image. However, I do have to wonder if I am drawn to this image more than the average person because I can relate to it culturally. The photograph you're about to see is a portrait of an elderly Italian woman in Italy with a young child. I understand everything about this image, from the woman's attire to the sewing machine she is using, mainly because I am Italian. Consequently, this image touches my heart. However, I'm not sure that it would evoke the same reaction from people who are not Italian or who do not understand the culture the way I do. I'd be really interested in hearing from all of you on this issue!! Please leave comments and let me know what you think of this photograph. Congratulations to the photographer, Luigi Mirto! Bella fotografia!! Here's the link flickr pick photo 



 

1 comment:

  1. Flickr Picks is a great idea. Your first pick is a shot with wonderful composition and light.

    ReplyDelete