Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Night To Remember


  roll mouse over photo to see 'before' shot

Hi there! Hope everyone had a great weekend. So, today's photo was taken at a pretty spectacular event that occurs once a year in Philadelphia...The Philadelphia Flower Show. This is a huge show held at the Philadelphia Convention Center, where people come from all over the country to compete in their flower/garden/horticultural displays. It's really pretty cool. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the pre-show gala, as I knew one of the exhibitors. This was a fancy reception/dinner held the evening before the Flower Show opened to the public. We got to walk around (without the usual crowds of thousands and thousands of people) and see all the exhibits while sipping champagne and eating hors d'oeuvres (yes, I had to look in the dictionary to spell hors d'oeuvres). Back in the day, during another lifetime, I would have reveled in this type of uppity atmosphere...mixing with the Philadelphia elite...wearing a dress that screams 'Look At Me'...promising to 'do lunch' with everyone I shook hands with. Not anymore....Seriously...not anymore. Now, in my world as I know it (and love it), I was very happy to have walked around this reception with my camera around my neck, tripod in hand, and wearing a very practical dress and flat shoes. Most everyone thought I was a photographer hired by the Flower Show, a pretend role I was more than happy to fulfill. So I just blended into the background, taking pictures and accidentally poking the random socialite with my tripod (accidentally! I swear!). 

The above shot is an HDR image. Roll your mouse over the image to see the original, first exposure taken. This was tone mapped in Photomatix, using 5 exposures (-2 to +2). A lot of touch up work was needed in Photoshop as the tonemapped version really did a job on the highlights and reflections of the silver and glass. I brought back a lot of the items with reflective surfaces from the original exposures via layer mask. I also added a few 'sparkles' using 2 brushes; the Starburst Large and Crosshatch 1 brush settings. I also ran this image through Topaz labs and used the Photo Pop filter. Viola.

6 comments:

  1. Great processing work, love the sparkle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guav!! I tend to be a 'glitter chick'.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I love about HDR photography...It would be very hard to capture the shine and glitter that was present in the actual scene via traditional photography. Thanks much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...amazing processing, excellent details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ioneanu! thanks for checking out my blog. come again!!

    ReplyDelete