Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Starry Starry Night

Roll Mouse Over Image to See "Before" Version

Hi friends! Thought I'd shake things up a bit with a different type of photograph today. A dreamscape if you will. I never really knew there was an actual label for these types of images...I always see these extremely vibrant, colorful, dream-like images on Flickr that are beautiful, but not quite realistic. I often wondered, "What part of the earth did this person go to find a night sky like that??" You probably know the type of images I'm talking about. The photographs that have 6-8 different colors in the sky, or rays of light coming down from a cloud that looks like it's made out of cotton. These images are usually show stoppers, but they are not completely "real." Meaning...it's simply not possible to find a sky such as the one in the above photograph. These types of images are meant to look as though they are from a 'dream'. Hence, the label "dreamscapes." 

Of course, being the last person to catch onto these things, I tried to capture these fantasy-like images for quite some time using only my camera. I grew increasingly frustrated by the fact that no matter what time of the day/night I went shooting or what location I was shooting from, I just couldn't capture these incredible colors and textures. Well.....then I learned about 'dreamscapes' and I felt pretty stupid. Essentially, dreamscape images require some serious manipulation in photoshop. Some dreamscapes are extreme and are actually photographic composites made from graphics and digital images. For the image above, I didn't really have to add in elements other than the stars and moon. In fact, as you can see, the moon was in the original photograph. I just enlarged it and moved it. I did, however, have to do some major color manipulation to the sky.  I really like these images because they are fun to work on, but they also allow for error. They don't have to be perfect because they're just fantasy not reality. Cheers!! Oh, by the way, give me a "like" on my Facebook page, the link to which is located on the top right of my blog. Thanks much!

10 comments:

  1. Yet another stunning image. It doesn't really matter to me how it's done as long as the end result is as great as this, but I'm still just a bit curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice result! It looks so dreamy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Its gorgeous! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... I've done something very similar on more than one occasion... Yours came out real nice Natalie... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice manipulation, I have moved/enlarged the moon on a few occasions too lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb result! I like how the moon can be seen now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...I'm off line for an evening and I wake up to so many kind comments! Thank you all for your remarks. I so appreciate your interest in my photographs. As promised, my next post will be of the "mother" waterfall!! stay tuned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nora Patzay QuinnJune 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM

    Beautiful image to start with as well! I like the restraint in the processing, some dreamscapes are too unrealistic, yours is very tastefully done, I had my Aha moment recently as well, it is so nice and refreshing to hear the "truth". Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Nora! I'm glad you had your Aha moment too!! I appreciate you visiting my blog...come back again...for more "truth". :-)

    ReplyDelete