Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Narcissus or the Peacock: Who is more arrogant?

I love peacocks! Such an amazing bird, really.
The grace...the elegance...the narcissism! These birds are the most arrogant animals I've ever encountered. Let me tell you the story behind capturing this image. Needless to say, it wasn't easy. I've been to many zoos and taken many photographs of peacocks, but never before had i had an opportunity to capture a peacock while admiring it's reflection in a pool of water. I mean, this was so metaphorical I couldn't even believe what i was witnessing. Here was an animal known for it's vanity and narcicissm if you will, and it was posing just as the famous painting of Narcissus by Caravaggio wherein Narcissus was admiring his reflection in a puddle of water.
So, here's how the story goes...I was taking some local photographs of a beautiful property that houses a French antique shop. The front of this property is lined with a white picket fence and cherry blossom trees. As I was packing up my camera gear and walking back to my car, i spotted a peacock walking around the grounds with its wings fully spread. This gorgeous creature appeared to be quite content as it flamboyantly taunted the other small birds that surrounded it. I quietly walked to the vicinity that the peacock occupied with my camera in hand. Just about to take my first shot, the peacock spotted me. In response, it put it's wings down, squawked at me, and walked away into some bushes. I knew this was going to be a challenge. I waited for a few minutes while hiding in a bush, and sure enough, the peacock came back out with its wings fully spread. I managed to take one picture through a bush, but this little rascal must have heard my camera's shutter and, once again, walked away. This cycle continued about 7 or 8 more times. It was as though this peacock absolutely refused to give in to the papparazzi one more time. I'm sure if they made little sunglasses small enough to fit its face, this peacock would have been wearing them. Finally, I managed to steal this one shot seconds before the peacock spotted me and, once again, left the scene with an irritated demeanor. So, what do you think? Who's more arrogant...Narcissus or the peaock?

No comments:

Post a Comment